|CO2 Abatement IEA Chart|
Energy Audit is the first step towards Energy Conservation in an Industrial plant or a Commercial facility. In India Energy Audit, although quite popular with Industrial plants, is yet to take off in a very big way. Many Companies have realized the potential of energy saving in their plant and have also carried out energy audit. However one must realize that Energy Audit is only the first step in the direction of energy efficiency and energy conservation. The recommendations made as part of the energy audit have to be implemented to achieve the energy saving targets.
The energy saving recommendations may require little or no investment and in some cases high investments as well. The investments are then taken up by the plant in a phase-wise manner, which result in delayed energy saving for the plant. In fact some of the recommendations may never be taken up by the plant. This renders the entire energy audit exercise futile.
In addition to the technical expertise required for Energy Audit the need of the hour is to have mutually beneficial business models such as ESCO and RESCO.
In case of ESCO the service provider (Energy Audit Company) invests in the energy saving projects identified in the plant or commercial facility (Target Company). The benefits of the savings achieved are then shared by the service provider and the plant.
The benefits of this approach to a plant :
- Energy Audit enables to assess the true potential of energy saving in the plant. Typically this can range from 5% to 12% of Specific Energy Consumption (SEC).
- The service provider (Energy Audit Company) has the responsibility to identify truly feasible projects after mutual discussions and an in-depth analysis.
- The responsibility of service provider does not end with submission of energy audit report.
- Financing for the identified energy saving projects would also be undertaken by the service provider and hence no investment to be done by the plant once the energy audit is completed.
- The plant would start saving from the first day of implementation of project without investing in the project.