ISO 50001 offers a systematic approach for Energy management within an Organization. While Energy Audit which is certainly beneficial to a single unit or plant or office in saving energy, the ISO 50001 framework works across the Organization. It may still be required to audit individual plants or facilities as part of the policy framework developed for an Organization.
It provides a framework of requirements for Organizations to :
- Develop a policy to improve energy efficiency
- Set targets and objectives
- Carry out energy audit
- Measure results
- Review policy
- Ensure continual improvement in energy efficiency
- Ensure optimum energy usage and thereby reduce cost across its manufacturing facilities, offices, warehouses etc.
- Improve its competitiveness by ensuring optimum cost of production as energy forms a sizable part of input cost.
- Improve it's image by projecting itself as an environmental conscious Company.
- Ensures uniformity in approach and better output through individual contribution for Energy Efficiency.